SIR-Spheres® Y-90 resin microspheres
Procedure 2: Administration
The SIR-Spheres® Y-90 resin microspheres will be administered during a second procedure which can be conducted either the same day, the next day or one or two weeks after the initial angiogram is completed.
Before your treatment, you will be asked to come to the hospital with an empty stomach. Food and beverages are not permitted beforehand.
- As during the work-up, a catheter is threaded into the liver through either the femoral or radial artery.
- SIR-Spheres are injected through the catheter.
After the treatment
- The radiation will be half as strong after 64 hours and almost gone after eleven days.
- Immediately following the procedure, you may be taken for a scan to confirm that the SIR-Spheres have been infused into your liver.
- You will be monitored for a few hours after the procedure and discharged usually within the next one to two days (depending on the local regulations).
- Most patients can resume their normal daily activities two to three days after the treatment.
These precautions include:
- Thorough washing of your hands after going to the toilet.
- Ensuring that bodily fluids such as urine or stool are disposed of in the toilet.
You may be provided further information on these precautions by your treatment team. After two weeks, only 3% of the initial radiation remains, and after one month, it all has disappeared.