Director, Business Development (M&A)
Location: Woburn, MA
Posted Date: 07/11/2022
Who We Are
Sirtex Medical is a global healthcare business with offices in Boston, Sydney, Germany, and Singapore, working to improve outcomes in people with cancer. Our current lead product is a targeted radiation therapy for liver cancer called SIR-Spheres® Y-90 resin microspheres. More than 100,000 doses have been supplied to treat patients with liver cancer at more than 1,300 medical centers in over 50 countries. We’re a fast growing; dynamic organization and we seek an experienced Director, Business Development to help us with our growth.
What You'll Do
The Global Director, Business Development recommends and executes strategies to identify, assess, and pursue new business opportunities. She/he will map the landscape and lay the groundwork for acquisition, licensing, and collaboration strategies. This will include developing business cases for opportunities, including conducting research and analysis to vet and validate ideas and opportunities. She/he will deliver presentations to the Senior Leadership Team to communicate new business opportunities on a regular basis and lead the review, negotiation, structuring, and closing of deals.
As a member of the Business Development team, the Director will work collaboratively across functions (including Commercial, Legal, Finance, and Operations) to assist in driving strategic investment opportunities. She/he will understand the industry landscape and regional nuances and provide the management team with the needed insight to drive intelligent, sound decision-making. With an air of humility, you bring strong quantitative skills, strategic thinking, and sound business judgment, along with the ability to think about what is - and what could be.
- Assist in the development of the Sirtex global strategy with respect to inorganic growth.
- Identify, develop, and pursue opportunities that enable the growth of the business and that are within Sirtex's strategy.
- Provide recommendations regarding potential technological and growth gaps for the business.
- Collaborate with business leaders and other functions to assess new business opportunities.
- Scan and scout for potential new business opportunities based on insight of unmet customer and market needs (for example licensing, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, distribution/development/supply agreements, IP, co-promoting, divestures, and auctions).
- Gather and communicate intelligence by reading published literature, patents, press releases, attending conferences and trade shows, networking, and seeking other sources of intelligence.
- Develop and utilize screening criteria, models, and tools to assess new business opportunities.
- Identify and articulate critical assumptions, risks, and opportunities.
- Develop business cases for new opportunities.
- Oversee marketplace analysis and assessment using financial and forecasting models.
- Utilize research to analyze, vet and validate ideas.
- Establish and maintain relationships with external targets aligned to business opportunities.
- Deliver oral and written presentations to senior management to communicate new business opportunities.
- Lead the due diligence, negotiation, structuring, and closing of transactions.
- Coordinate the integration of new businesses and assets through the leadership of a cross-functional team.
- Prepare and deliver regular reports and summaries for leadership that provides status of business development projects and competitive M&A activity.
Who You'll Be
- Bachelor’s Degree required, MBA or advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in strategy/business development roles in the medical device, pharmaceutical or health care industry.
- Experience of having worked on closing deals and transactions in the industry.
- Hands-on experience developing financial models for business development transactions
- Proficiency in related software tools.
- Excellent verbal, written, analytical, and persuasive skills and ability to interact effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Ability to multitask and work independently on assignments.
- Strong interpersonal skills, an energetic, proactive, flexible individual with high integrity and ethics in all dealings.
- Eager to learn, enthused by the day and resilient with a sense of humor.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally 20%
What You Can Expect from Sirtex
If you have the right skills and experience and want to work for a company making a real difference to the quality of people’s lives, Sirtex will offer the right candidate:
- Diverse and flexible employment and working arrangements to achieve the optimum balance between work and personal responsibilities and objectives
- A working culture of respect, diversity, and performance to help facilitate an inclusive culture
- Attractive compensation and benefit packages which are practical, robust, fair and equitable
- A place to grow through career development and training opportunities
- Challenging work to continue to develop new and better ways to improve clinical outcomes for oncology treatment around the world.
Conditions of Employment
- Sirtex Medical has implemented a mandatory vaccination policy effective November 1, 2021, requiring the COVID 19 vaccination for all employees. In accordance with Sirtex’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, we are adopting this policy to safeguard the health of our employees and their families, and the community at large from infectious diseases that may be reduced by vaccinations.
- Individuals seeking an exemption from this requirement for medical or religious reasons should complete a request for accommodation form and submit the form to the human resources department.
Sirtex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Sirtex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Diversity drives innovation; inclusion fosters belonging, growth and success. Sirtex believes that it takes multiple perspectives and voices to create a culture and workplace which fosters engagement, teamwork, and employee satisfaction to perform our best and deliver on commitments. We are dedicated to fostering an environment where all employees feel valued, included, and can share their ideas so that we can exceed even our own expectations.
Be part of an amazing team that is helping to save lives, every day.