Director, Scientific Publications & Communications
Location: Woburn, MA
Posted Date: 09/14/2022
Who We Are
Sirtex Medical is a global healthcare business with offices in Boston, Sydney, Germany, and Singapore, working to improve outcomes in people with cancer. Our current lead product is a targeted radiation therapy for liver cancer called SIR-Spheres® Y-90 resin microspheres. More than 100,000 doses have been supplied to treat patients with liver cancer at more than 1,300 medical centers in over 50 countries. We’re a fast growing; dynamic organization and we seek an experienced Director Scientific Publications & Communications to help us with our growth.
What You'll Do
The Director Global Scientific Publications & Communications holds responsibility for leading and developing a medical communication and publications strategy for SIRTEX’s clinical product(s) and trials and any pipeline drugs. This position contributes to all clinical communications and is responsible for the integration of clinical trials disclosure into Publications liaising with Clinical team ensuring compliance of publications with forthcoming clinical trials transparency directives. This individual will have strategic and operational responsibilities for all aspects of medical communications and scientific publications and is the interface of the Company for all people involved in publication matters.
- This position reports to Senior Director Evidence Generation Strat., Sci Comm and Pubs
- To ensure development and execution of integrated, consistent medical communications and publication plans that support clinical and commercialization strategies focusing on strategic communications and publications planning along relevant pathways in the therapeutic areas market.
- To develop an effective process and organization to create and implement high quality scientific publication and communication plans to meet business deadlines.
- To implement, develop and execute the scientific publication and communication plans across the different disciplines and indications in the therapeutic area for Sirtex’s primary product and any product in pipeline or development.
- To ensure timely publication of the results of the company´s clinical trials, whatever the outcome, in biomedical journals following the principles established by the ICMJE in “Uniform Requirements for Manuscripts Submitted to Biomedical Journals: Writing and Editing for Biomedical Publication” (www.icmje.org), Good Publication Practice for Pharmaceutical Companies (GPP3) and all other existing guidelines and regulations
- To communicate publication and communication planning objectives and processes to key stakeholders and ensure their proactive involvement in delivery.
- To lead strategic planning and oversight of implementation of abstracts, posters, manuscripts, oral presentations for key meetings and advisory boards and gain input and agreement on congress plans from cross-functional teams.
- To serve as the liaison between Clinical, Regulatory, and Sales & Marketing regarding publications and communications.
- To monitor and implement industry trends for Good Writing Practices.
- To stay abreast of external regulatory & advisory developments in scientific publications and ensure that any new advances are brought into Sirtex as necessary.
- To train medical and marketing staff in ethical scientific publication practices and introduce policies and procedures to minimize risks of non-compliance.
- To explore & introduce alternative outsourcing & contracting options, as necessary to support the preparation of publications.
- To secure consultants for writing and analysis as required for on-going as well as short-term requirements, projects budgetary elements, commits and obligates expenditures, ensures timely payment.
- Responsible for purchasing articles and copyrights as needed for Sirtex
- To keep informed of how transparency regulations are affecting publications
- To ensure compliance of publications with forthcoming clinical trials transparency directives in a timely manner.
Who You'll Be
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in the life sciences or health-related field, advanced degree in the above areas preferred
- Proven track record to project manage and succeed in a remote-based environment
- Demonstrated strong influence management skills and ability to lead cross- functional teams and work effectively across departments
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to all levels of the organization including executive management
- Strong oral/written presentation skills
- Fluent in English, both orally and written, an additional European language a plus
- Proficiency using medical/scientific publication databases/resources
- Previous successful writing and publication history
- Prior work-related experience in the healthcare industry, especially in the oncology field; international experience a plus
- Understanding of scientific methodology with ability to understand clinical development including the phases, processes and techniques used within a clinical development environment from protocol design through regulatory submissions
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and knowledge of reference and bibliographic software and creation of reference databases are essential
- 5 or more years medical writing experience, with at least 3 years of publication management experience
- Familiarity with ICMJE, CONSORT, AMA, and other external standards for ensuring the quality and transparency of clinical publications
- AMWA, BELS, STROBE and/or ISMPP certification a plus
- Demonstrated leadership role within medical writing profession
- Membership in either the International Society of Medical Publication Professionals (ISMPP) or the International Publication Planning Association (TIPPA) a plus
What You Can Expect from Sirtex
If you have the right skills and experience and want to work for a company making a real difference to the quality of people’s lives, Sirtex will offer the right candidate:
- Diverse and flexible employment and working arrangements to achieve the optimum balance between work and personal responsibilities and objectives
- A working culture of respect, diversity, and performance to help facilitate an inclusive culture
- Attractive compensation and benefit packages which are practical, robust, fair and equitable
- A place to grow through career development and training opportunities
- Challenging work to continue to develop new and better ways to improve clinical outcomes for oncology treatment around the world.
Conditions of Employment
- Sirtex Medical has implemented a mandatory vaccination policy effective November 1, 2021, requiring the COVID 19 vaccination for all employees. In accordance with Sirtex’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, we are adopting this policy to safeguard the health of our employees and their families, and the community at large from infectious diseases that may be reduced by vaccinations.
- Individuals seeking an exemption from this requirement for medical or religious reasons should complete a request for accommodation form and submit the form to the human resources department.
Sirtex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Sirtex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Diversity drives innovation; inclusion fosters belonging, growth and success. Sirtex believes that it takes multiple perspectives and voices to create a culture and workplace which fosters engagement, teamwork, and employee satisfaction to perform our best and deliver on commitments. We are dedicated to fostering an environment where all employees feel valued, included, and can share their ideas so that we can exceed even our own expectations.
Be part of an amazing team that is helping to save lives, every day.