Director of Global Tax
Location: Woburn Ma
Advertising Date: Fri 24 September 2021
Sirtex Medical is a global healthcare business with offices in Boston, Sydney, Germany, and Singapore, working to improve outcomes in people with cancer. Our current lead product is a targeted radiation therapy for liver cancer called SIR-Spheres® Y-90 resin microspheres. More than 100,000 doses have been supplied to treat patients with liver cancer at more than 1,300 medical centers in over 50 countries. We are a fast growing, dynamic organization.
We are looking for a mature and experienced tax professional to lead the global tax function: Manage the global tax provision work, monitor global tax compliance and more importantly, work with external and internal resources to optimize our global tax position. This is an on-site position based in the Woburn MA office and the employee will be required to work in the office on a regular basis
Key Qualities Required
This role is strategically focused. Your priority is to understand our global footprint, expansion plans, our existing tax position and be able to develop and execute a plan that optimizes our global tax position. You will also manage tax provision and compliance with support from internal and external resources.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated experience within a global footprint. The ideal candidate needs to have multinational tax background. As part of a company that is expanding globally, you need to have the capability to work around ambiguity, you must possess the experience and capability to be given a desired result and figure out how to get there. Your ability to understand what the desired result is and work backwards to ascertain how to get there is a very key quality to have.
Given the critical requirement for frequent communication with various parties including shareholders based in China, you need to have the capability to provide executive summaries and articulate complicated tax issues using simple English to non-tax professionals. Bilingual (Mandarin Chinese and English) will be a significant advantage
Candidates from the pharma/medical device industry are highly desirable. However, we are also interested in candidates with technology background to join our dynamic team. We are looking for individuals who understand how a corporation with a tangible product works. Business acumen is another key attribute required. We need the candidate to ask smart questions, know where and how to look for answers and capable of working autonomously albeit within a global team.
- Working with internal resources and external consultants to develop, execute and monitor the Sirtex global tax strategy.
- Oversee the global income tax provision process. Support the accurate preparation of the company’s income tax expense (both current and deferred) for financial statement purposes. Identify local country tax issues, book/tax differences, tax forecasting, and uncertain tax positions and assist in the tax footnote preparation and disclosure.
- Work with regional finance heads and tax consultants to ensure tax returns are being prepared and filed correctly and in a timely manner. Review and understand the book-to-tax variances of each entity to ensure reasonableness.
- Develop tax reporting schedule, manage, and coordinate tax audits, direct and indirect tax compliance globally.
- Work with the Finance team to oversee the indirect tax function, including tax planning and monitoring changes to tax laws and regulations.
- Analyze the tax impact and reporting requirements for international expansions, R&D credits, acquisitions, dispositions, and restructurings, and IP.
- Cooperate with Transfer Pricing consultants to update the benchmarking and decide on the correct transfer pricing ratios annually to make sure the ratios best reflect the business performance.
- Research complicated international tax issues, come up with solutions to support the business growth and achieve compliance at the same time.
- Advice on impact of new or proposed legislation, decisions, regulations and rulings in tax and related areas.
- Ensure compliance with legal, professional, and ethical standards.
- Other ad-hoc projects as directed by the Chief Financial Officer
Education and Skill Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or taxation is preferred
- Public accounting experience is highly desirable.
- 10-15 years professional experience in multinational tax is required, the preferred industries are technology, medical device or pharmaceutical. Experience working with the APAC region especially China and Australia are a huge plus.
- Working knowledge of transfer pricing in a global environment and hands-on experience with VAT/GST are ideal.
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills. The ability to see the big picture and think outside of the box
- Bilingual (English/Mandarin Chinese) is ideal.
- Good communication and organization skills
- Professional, optimistic, capable of multi-task, perform well in a fast-paced environment and function well under pressure.
Conditions of Employment
- Sirtex Medical has implemented a mandatory vaccination policy effective November 1, 2021 requiring the COVID 19 vaccination for all employees. In accordance with Sirtex’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, we are adopting this policy to safeguard the health of our employees and their families, and the community at large from infectious diseases that may be reduced by vaccinations.
- Individuals seeking an exemption from this requirement for medical or religious reasons should complete a request for accommodation form and submit the form to the human resources department.
What you can expect from Sirtex
If you have the right skills and experience and want to work for a company making a real difference to the quality of people’s lives, Sirtex will offer the right candidate:
- Diverse and flexible employment and working arrangements to achieve the optimum balance between work and personal responsibilities and objectives
- A working culture of respect, diversity and performance to help facilitate an inclusive culture
- Attractive compensation and benefit packages which are practical, robust, fair and equitable
- A place to grow through career development and training opportunities
- Challenging work to continue to develop new and better ways to improve clinical outcomes for oncology treatment around the world
- Physical requirements include: sitting, walking, standing for prolonged amount of time, possible exposure to radiation.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply, please click the apply button or email your cover letter and resume to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org
Sirtex is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer including Disabled/Vets