SIR-Spheres® Y-90 resin microspheres are administered under local anaesthesia by a specially trained healthcare professional who
- makes a small incision, usually into the femoral artery near the groin (A)
- guides a microcatheter to the pre-specified site in the hepatic artery (as identified during the pre-treatment planning) (B)
- administers SIR-Spheres® Y-90 resin microspheres through this catheter (C).
The whole procedure may take around 60-90 minutes.
- it is recommended that patients have a scan to confirm the placement of the SIR-Spheres Y-90 resin microspheres.
- patients should be monitored for a few hours and most patients are discharged within 24 hours.