An emerging global leader in cancer treatment
Sirtex Medical Limited is an Australian company with an approved cancer treatment supplied globally. Sirtex's main commercialised product is a targeted radioactive treatment for liver cancer called SIR-Spheres® Y-90 resin microspheres.
Approximately 80,000 doses of SIR-Spheres Y-90 resin microspheres have been supplied to treat liver cancer patients in over 1,090 medical centres in over 40 countries.
This product has PMA approval from the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA), the European Union (CE Mark) and Australia's Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA).
Sirtex has manufacturing capabilities in the U.S., Singapore and Germany.
What are SIR-Spheres Y-90 resin microspheres and how are they used?
SIR-Spheres Y-90 resin microspheres are used to deliver targeted internal radiation therapy directly to liver tumours via the hepatic artery.
This therapy is called Selective Internal Radiation Therapy (SIRT) and is performed using minimally invasive surgical techniques by an interventional radiologist.
Where SIR-Spheres Y-90 resin microspheres are used, the available clinical evidence suggests SIR-Spheres Y-90 resin microspheres may approximately double the rate of tumour shrinkage and tumour remission.
The evidence also suggests it may be capable of improving the life expectancy of patients.
2017 Full year financial and operating highlights
- 13 consecutive years of growth
- Dose sales of 12,578, up 5.4 per cent
- Revenues of $234.3 million, up 0.8 per cent
- Underlying net profit after tax of $42.4 million, down 20.9 per cent
- Reported net loss after tax of $26.3 million, down 149.0 per cent
- Cash balance of $118.3 million, up 10.6 per cent and no debt
- Underlying earnings per share of 73.5 cents, down 21.6 per cent
- Reported earnings per share of -45.5 cents, down 148.6 per cent
- Dividend per share of 30 cents, up 0 per cent